1. Personal Data:
- Birthdate: September 7, 1943
- Birthplace: Lucélia, SP, Brazil
- Place of Residence: São Paulo, SP, Brazil
2. Academic Background (Higher Education):
- Ph.D. (Philosophiae Doctor), University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA (1972).
- M.Div. (Master of Divinity), Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, Pittsburgh, PA, USA (1970).
- B.Div. (Bachelor of Divinity), Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, Pittsburgh, PA, USA (1967), with studies also done at the Faculdade de Teologia da Igreja Evangélica de Confissão Luterana no Brasil, São Leopoldo, SP, Brazil (1967) and at the Seminário Presbiteriano do Sul, Campinas, SP, Brazil (1964-1966).
3. Current Activities:
- Fellow, Education Impact, London, England, UK, a consulting organization doing work for governments, where he is resource person in the areas of Envisioning and Strategizing, Innovation, Change Management, Curriculum-Methodology-Assessment, and the Role of Technology in Learning (since 2008).
- Member of the International Advisory Board of Microsoft’s Partners in Learning – the company’s chief global initiative in the area of education, Redmond, WA, USA (since 2003).
- Member of the Advisory Board of foundations and social programs in Brazil, such as the Crescer Institute and the EducaRede Program – the latter, a global program of the Telefónica Foundation, both in São Paulo, SP, Brazil (since 2003).
- Partner, MindWare – EduTec.Net, São Paulo, Brazil, a consulting firm in the area of education, technology and innovation working mostly on the impact of technology on education, learning and schooling, Campinas and São Paulo, SP, Brazil (since 1997). [Clients in the past five years: Secretariat of Education for the City of São Paulo, Microsoft Informática Ltda., Fundação Bradesco, Instituto Crescer, Instituto Ayrton Senna].
4. Past Experience:
Before the present time, Eduardo Chaves was active in academia, international multilateral organizations, government, social endeavors and private companies.
A. In the Academic Area:
- Professor of Philosophy, in the area of philosophy of education and of technology in education, at the Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), School of Education, Campinas, SP, Brazil, where he was Dean of the School of Education, Graduate Dean of Education, Creator and Coordinator of the Nucleus of Informatics Applied to Education (NIED) and Administrative Vice-Provost for the entire University (1974-2006).
- Professor of Information Systems Management, Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Campinas (PUC-CAMP), Computer Science Institute, Campinas, SP, Brazil (1992-1997, part time).
- Professor of Programming Logic, Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo (PUC-SP), Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, São Paulo, SP, Brazil (1988-1990, part time).
- Lecturer in Philosophy, Pomona College, Department of Philosophy, Claremont, CA, USA, 1973-1974.
- Assistant Professor of Philosophy, California State University, Department of Philosophy, Hayward, CA, USA, 1972-1973.
B. In Consultancy to International Multilateral Organizations
- Consultant, World Health Organization (WHO), Geneva, Switzerland, in the area of Health Informatics (1985-1995)
- Consultant, Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO), Washington, DC, USA, un the area of Health Informatics (1985-1995)
C. In Government:
- Deputy Secretary of State for Higher Education, State Secretariat of Higher Education, São Paulo, SP, Brazil (2007).
- Member of the State Council of Computing and Data Processing, São Paulo, SP, Brazil (1988-1990).
- Director of Information, State Secretariat of Health, São Paulo, SP, Brazil (1987-1990).
- Director of Information, State Secretariat of Education, São Paulo, SP, Brazil (1986-1987).
D. In the Third Sector:
- President and Member of the Board, Lumiar Institute, São Paulo, SP, Brazil, an NGO dedicated to conducting research in the area of education (curriculum, methodology and evaluation) and applying this research within schools, either its own or through partnerships (2003-2009, Member of the Board, 2007-2009, President).
- Senior Consultant, Ayrton Senna Foundation, São Paulo, SP, Brazil, an NGO created by the family of the former Formula One car racer to improve the education of children in need. There he was involved in the area of Education and Technology and created and (during four years) coordinated the UNESCO Chair od Education and Human Development (1999-2006).
E. In Private Companies:
- Technical Director and President, People Brasil Informática Ltda., Campinas, SP, Brazil, a company that franchised methodology, texts and supporting materials for computer training (1994-1996, Technical Director, 1996-1997, President).
- Technical Director, People Computação Ltda., Campinas, SP, Brazil, a Computer Training company (1988-1993).
5. R&D Experience in the Area of Technology and Education:
- While Coordinator of NIED at UNICAMP, he was the coordinator and senior researcher of the group that implemented a Portuguese version of Logo for CP/M computers.
- While Technical Director of People Brasil Informática Ltda., he was coordinator of the team that implemented a Portuguese version of Logo called VIP Logo (later People Logo) for the IBM PC.
Author of innumerable articles in the area of philosophy and education and of several books in the area of education and technology (all in Portuguese, but the third item), among which the following can be mentioned:
- Informatics: MicroRevelations (Campinas, SP, Brazil, 1985).
- The Use of Computers in Schools: Foundations and Criticisms, with Valdemar W. Setzer (São Paulo, SP, Brazil, 1988).
- Informatics and Telematics in Health: Present and Potential Uses, co-author and member of the Editorial Board (2nd edition, Geneva, Switzerland, 1988)
- A New Strategy for the Social Area, with José Aristodemo Pinotti and Anibal Faúndes (São Paulo, SP, Brazil, 1988)
- Multimedia: Concept, Applications and Technology (Campinas, SP, Brazil, 1992).
- Time Management (Campinas, SP, Brazil, 1992)
- Technology and Education:
The Future of the School in the Information Society (Brasília, DF, Brazil, 1998).
- Education and Technology for Human Development (São Paulo, SP, Brazil, 2004).
- Education for Human Development: A New Education for a New Era (written, presently under development).
São Paulo, July 2010